Marble is a luxurious stone type used for a variety of home decor pieces. Learn about this stone:
1. Marble is a type of limestone that has been crystallized. Limestone is heated, compressed and resolidified to become the elegant marble stone
2. In its purest form, marble is stark white in color. It can also come in other colors due to mineral and clay deposits. The deposits can cause the stone to range in color from pink to yellow to black. Groups of deposits can cause spots and veining in the stone. Marble can be polished to a high luster to bring out the unique veining patterns. No two slabs of marble are alike due to the natural veining and spotting patterns.
3. Marble has been a popular material for buildings and home accents for centuries. Many buildings and statues in ancient Greece and Rome were carved from marble. Many famous buildings still standing today are made of marble including the Taj Mahal, The Washington Monument and The Parthenon.
4. Unlike granite and other natural stone types, marble is a softer stone. Marble is naturally more porous, which makes it softer. Since it is softer than other stone types, it makes it a great material for sculptures. The softer material allows for a greater level of detail in the carvings. On the other hand, the softer, porous stone makes it more susceptible to staining and scratching.
5. Since marble is more vulnerable to damage, it is recommended for areas of the home that have less traffic. However, it can be used for many different home accents including sinks, fireplace surrounds, bathtubs and statues.
If you have questions about our marble products, please contact us. We would be happy to help you find the perfect stone piece for your home.